Thursday 13 August 2009

Holy Family

This ordinary but very special family work in Herbich's foundry.They were sitting like this in the cantine and I said Keep still! fetched paper and drew them.
I thought about it, made a small ceramic group (which Clemens and Julia have) and then after a year, with Derk Bodack's help made a polystyrene and wax group which was cast in bronze in Gernlinden.
It too, had a number of adventures including losing all the heads..but Franz Herbich and Astrid drove it to Ely with me and with help we installed it in the Lady Chapel before the 7am service.It was there over Christmas and looked wonderful.It too, spent a year in Alastair Hull's Haddenham gallery sculpture garden and is now in front of my front door.


Price from €15000
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. To be honest, I was randomly looking at those uploaded works, so I might repeat myself a few times. Anyway, it's a bit difficult for me to give an opinion for each sculpture. I rather prefer to write an article on all exhibited works, here on the internet, because it's hard to separate my observation regarding your artistic style, approach to different topics and choice of materials, etc. But I'll try :-) (Wow, what an introduction!)

    In general, I recognized slightly influence of Barbara Hepworth in your works, in a way of using forms and projecting vivid images into a plastic medium. It seems like this (and some other works) is unfinished composition, but actually, this simple solid shape, that reminds observer of public monuments, shows formalist aesthetic, and creates truly poetic expression and abstract beauty of the Holy Family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!Of course I quote the sculptures that I revere..Gothic madonnas and their stiff child on their laps and Hepworth..

    ReplyDelete